Eat Healthily for a Razor Sharp Mind at Work
The type, frequency and portion size of foods we eat, affect our hormone and brain chemical levels. In the workplace, especially during a demanding period, we need our minds to be razor-sharp and to effortlessly feel a flow of energy through our body. When stretched, we often use caffeine, starchy-carbohydrate foods and sugary treats which can create the opposite effect to what we want, resulting in dramatic slumps, mentally and physically.
To combat these slumps you should aim to follow these easy rules;
- Aim to eat every 3 hours when at work, 5 small meals or 3 meals & 2 snacks
- The food to portion is complex carbohydrates (brown bread, pasta, rice, potato) and to avoid is refined carbohydrates (sweets, juices, cakes, pastries, deep fried)
- Focus on enjoying your food when eating, stepping away from your desk.
- Avoid distending the stomach, leave 20 minutes after a meal to allow the gut to communicate with your brain that you are full
- Always have water/herbal tea at your desk, office environments can be dehydrating and thirst may be interpreted as hunger
- Combine a protein, carbohydrate and fat at all meals to maintain a good blood sugar curve